[Company Logo Image]


Home Up Contents SEARCH 

IRS Enrolled Agent Logo

Why an Enrolled Agent
Certifying Acpt Agent
Free Services
Email Advice
Track Your Tax Refund
Tax Glossary
Neat Facts & Stats
1913 US Form 1040
Questions & Library
Partner Profiles
Tax Calendar
Reasons to Call Us
Links Of Interest
Privacy & Disclosure

How Do I Determine My Gain or Loss on Stock or Mutual Funds?

If you sell shares in a mutual fund, even if you "reinvest" the proceeds in another fund, the transaction is considered the sale of stock and reportable on Form 1040, Schedule D.

The mutual fund should issue you Form 1099-B showing the gross proceeds of the shares you sold. Some companies will also include an "average cost basis" statement, which saves you the trouble of calculating the cost basis of the shares you sold. If this is not available, you will need to calculate this yourself.

Simply add up your total cash invested in the fund, including dividends you retained in the fund to buy additional shares. Divide this by the number of shares owned in the fund before the sale, and this is your average cost basis per share. This is the figure you multiply by the number of shares sold, in order to determine the gain or loss on the sale.

You can further refine this calculation by doing separate calculations for those shares held long term (more than one year) and short term (under one year). Further information is provided in IRS Publication 564.



  [Back] [Home] [Up] [Next]

We do not offer legal advice. All information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for proper legal advice. If you have legal questions, we recommend that you seek the advice of legal professionals.

Tax Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with IRS Rules, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Copyright 2017 Wink Tax Services / Wink Inc.
Last modified: January 30, 2017