[Company Logo Image]


Home Up Contents SEARCH 

IRS Enrolled Agent Logo

Why an Enrolled Agent
Certifying Acpt Agent
Free Services
Email Advice
Track Your Tax Refund
Tax Glossary
Neat Facts & Stats
1913 US Form 1040
Questions & Library
Partner Profiles
Tax Calendar
Reasons to Call Us
Links Of Interest
Privacy & Disclosure

What Medical Insurance Can I Deduct?

You can deduct qualified medical insurance for yourself, your spouse, and those who qualify as your dependents (including those whom you actually cannot claim as dependents due to income limitations ONLY). Qualified medical insurance includes any insurance that will pay your otherwise-deductible medical bills, and also includes dental and vision insurance plans. It does not include insurance that pays you a flat dollar amount when you are disabled. It includes Medicare Part B (withheld from Social Security benefits), but not Medicare Part A.

Medical insurance can be deducted if it is withheld by your employer, but ONLY if that is done with after-tax dollars. If you participate in a cafeteria or similar plan in which benefits are paid with pre-tax dollars, medical insurance paid through those plans are not deductible, since you were never taxed on those amounts to begin with.

Medical insurance - meeting the above criteria - can generally be deducted as a medical expense, on Form 1040, Schedule A. Together with other medical expenses, the total in this category that can actually reduce your income is limited to its excess over 7% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

One exception: If you have income from self-employment (including wages received as shareholder-employee of an S-corporation), you can claim an above-the-line deduction (from gross income to adjusted gross income) for the lesser of 30% of your medical insurance premiums or your self-employment income. The remainder carries to Schedule A as a medical expense.



  [Back] [Home] [Up] [Next]

We do not offer legal advice. All information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for proper legal advice. If you have legal questions, we recommend that you seek the advice of legal professionals.

Tax Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with IRS Rules, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Copyright 2017 Wink Tax Services / Wink Inc.
Last modified: January 30, 2017