[Company Logo Image]


Home Up Contents SEARCH 

IRS Enrolled Agent Logo

Why an Enrolled Agent
Certifying Acpt Agent
Free Services
Email Advice
Track Your Tax Refund
Tax Glossary
Neat Facts & Stats
1913 US Form 1040
Questions & Library
Partner Profiles
Tax Calendar
Reasons to Call Us
Links Of Interest
Privacy & Disclosure

What If I Disagree With My W-2 Form?

Your Form W-2 should accurately reflect your taxable compensation received, and taxes withheld, during the year. In some cases, this may not reconcile with your actual paycheck stubs for legitimate reasons, such as the inclusion of taxable benefits or adjustments not reflected on the checks. If you believe your W-2 form is in error, the first thing you should do is ask your employer to help you reconcile the form with the information you have. If you still believe your W-2 form is in error, and your employer does not agree to change it, you can call the Internal Revenue Service at 1-800-TAX-1040 and report the problem. Realize that this means your employer will likely be contacted by an IRS auditor, so be certain that there is a problem you cannot rectify through your employer.

If you need to report income or wages that differs from that reported by your employer, you should complete and attach to your return a Form 4852, listing the correct information. Attach a copy of your original W-2 form with "See Form 4852" written across it, and a schedule showing the differences between the two forms. You should also include copies of any documentation you believe supports your figures.



  [Back] [Home] [Up] [Next]

We do not offer legal advice. All information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for proper legal advice. If you have legal questions, we recommend that you seek the advice of legal professionals.

Tax Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with IRS Rules, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Copyright 2017 Wink Tax Services / Wink Inc.
Last modified: January 30, 2017