[Company Logo Image]


Home Up Contents SEARCH 

IRS Enrolled Agent Logo

Why an Enrolled Agent
Certifying Acpt Agent
Free Services
Email Advice
Track Your Tax Refund
Tax Glossary
Neat Facts & Stats
1913 US Form 1040
Questions & Library
Partner Profiles
Tax Calendar
Reasons to Call Us
Links Of Interest
Privacy & Disclosure

Employees and Payroll Taxes

Once you obtain your Employer Identification Number (EIN) for the corporation, you should be sent a copy of Publication 15 ("Circular E") which explains the withholding and payment of payroll taxes. You will be reporting the wages quarterly on Form 941, which is due the last day of the month following the end of the quarter.

The corporation will be withholding FICA tax, made up of Social Security, for 1999, 6.2% of the first $72,600 of wages and Medicare tax, 1.45% of all wages, as well as withholding Federal income tax based on the status and allowances claimed on Form W-4 by the employee, as explained in Circular E. You will also be MATCHING the FICA tax as the employer's share, and remitting the total, plus the Federal tax withheld from the employee, at intervals specified in Circular E. NOTE: It is important that you realize that the FICA and Federal tax withheld from the employee's pay is NOT your money. It is considered a "trust liability" to the Federal government, and must be remitted to them promptly at the designated intervals. You will also be responsible for paying Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA) on the first $7,000 of wages paid to each employee each year. Quarterly deposits will be required if your accumulated FUTA liability reaches $100 or more. See Circular E for specifics.

You must also check with your state or locality to see what employer registration, tax withholding, payments and reports may be required. Even if your state does not have an income tax, it may require payments from employers based on other factors.


Return to Corporate Reports


  [Back] [Home] [Up] [Next]

We do not offer legal advice. All information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for proper legal advice. If you have legal questions, we recommend that you seek the advice of legal professionals.

Tax Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with IRS Rules, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Copyright 2017 Wink Tax Services / Wink Inc.
Last modified: January 30, 2017