[Company Logo Image]


Home Up Contents SEARCH 

IRS Enrolled Agent Logo

Why an Enrolled Agent
Certifying Acpt Agent
Free Services
Email Advice
Track Your Tax Refund
Tax Glossary
Neat Facts & Stats
1913 US Form 1040
Questions & Library
Partner Profiles
Tax Calendar
Reasons to Call Us
Links Of Interest
Privacy & Disclosure


What If I Show A Loss?


Generally, a loss on your Schedule C is deductible against your other income shown on Form 1040.

If your loss exceeds the other income, this may or may not create a Net Operating Loss which you can carry back to a previous year (or elect to carry forward directly) to get a refund of taxes paid. See Form 1045, Schedule A for info on net operating losses.

Caution: Before you declare a loss, be sure you have double checked;

  1. You did not cause or increase the loss through a deduction for business use of your home (Form 8829),
  2. If the loss was caused/increased by a Sec. 179 deduction on Form 4562, the excess is not greater than any other earned income (including wages) on your return, and
  3. You are fully "at risk" for the loss in your business.

  [Back] [Home] [Up] [Next]

We do not offer legal advice. All information provided on this website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for proper legal advice. If you have legal questions, we recommend that you seek the advice of legal professionals.

Tax Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with IRS Rules, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein.

Copyright 2017 Wink Tax Services / Wink Inc.
Last modified: January 30, 2017